Thursday, January 28

When did you..

So for those of you that have toddlers or older children, when did you first move them out of their cribs into a "big" boy or girl bed. Or convert them over to a toddler bed?

I have been thinking a lot about this lately because of the new baby on the way.

I am due May 5th, the day William turns 18 months old. I would like to introduce his toddler bed to him and start getting him used to it and go through the whole ordeal of transitioning and trying something new before the baby comes so we don't have to try and do it while I am trying to deal with the transition of having another little one in the house. But I don't know if that's just way too early? It's not like the baby is going to go straight into the crib as soon as we bring him home so William can still use it for a little while? but like I said would it be easier to deal with before the baby comes? I don't know?

I have no idea how he will do and I guess the best way to find out is to just try it out and see?

But I would love to know how early you did it? how it worked out and if you have any suggestions or tips on how to make the process easier?

On a more fun note, I have made new bedding for the boys, matching quilts, bed skirts, pillows, a bumper for Lucas' crib and matching curtains. I haven't made most of these things before so it's a working progress and a lot of trial and error, but It's starting to come together, I really want to get the painting done so it looks more finished... pictures to come...

8 comments:

Danielle said...

So...Jada is 20 months tomorrow...and I will just say we aren't moving to a big girl bed till she's probably 2 or even older. She is still doing fine in the crib and hasn't even tried to climb out yet (knock on wood), so I'm not going to mess with a good thing. She might surprise us and be fine but I have a sneaky feeling she's just not ready. I say if he stays in his crib still and sleeps good then keep him in there! You don't want to have a new baby and be trying to keep him in his bed all night all at the same time. That's just my opinion though, he'll probably do great! Can't wait to see your bedding and your belly is so cute!

~..kass..~ said...

Ok so Kenton and Kodi Anne are a little further apart than your will be. (21 mo) but I had Kenton out of his crib and into a toddle bed at about 14-15 mo. He really did awesome. I did it early because I didn't want to try and change a lot right around when Kodi would be coming. Kodi was in a new bed at about the same age as Kenton was too and she did just fine. It did take a few times for me to get him to stay in. But I really think that not matter when you do it it is going to be a challenge for them to stay in. Just because they have been use to the bars.. :)
But what works for one mama doesn't always work for the next, same goes for the kids :) Good luck!

Anonymous said...

All my kids were around that age. Go for it.

Jonathan, Kaity & Halle said...

I'm already thinking about it... when I was in St.George last Halle slept in my little cousins bed. It was a twin size bed, pushed up against the corner of the room and had a headboard so it wasn't a HUGE transition but she did great. Climbed out once, so I put her back in bed and she didn't try it again, just went straight to bed :). Halle doesn't really move when she's sleeping though, that may be why it was so easy. I would just try it out (like mattress on the floor) for a few naps and see how he does.


p.s. pottery barn kids has the CUTEST shared room ideas!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kevin, Kelsey and Annalise.... said...

I can't remember exactly how old Annalise was, but it was somewhere around that age.(I want to say 20 months) I wanted to do it before we moved so she wasn't getting a new bed, and a new room at the same time.....so as to not overwhelm her.Anyway, She did fine transitioning, but she still needs something to hold her into bed because she rolls around like crazy. It should be easy to try it out on your crib since the side slides right off....good luck!

Trask Tribe said...

If he stays in the crib at least you know where he is :) Rather then wandering around when you are asleep or in the shower or crawling into bed with you each night. But what do I know, I can't even remember my own children's names or who is who in a baby picture. But I sure Love that little guy. Just wish he knew how to sign grandma like he does papa.

traskrocks said...

one year. every one of our children.